I don’t know about you, but when the weather is cold and chilly outside, I instantly begin to crave for a warm & delicious soup. Not the ones you get out of a can, but a nice homemade, creamy and yummy soups. Here’s the catch, I am a busy working mother & wife to my beautiful family of 3, and there are some days I just do not have the time or… I am just too lazy to and prepared to spend hours in the kitchen on a weeknight creating a yummy soup for my family. How about you?
Well, I am so excited to share with you all my latest find!! Now, this may or may not be new to you, but it’s new me. I was at my local H-E-B grocery store when I came across these H-E-B soup or casseroles in a container. At first, I was like what is this? Then I looked a bit closer and noticed that each soup contain all of the ingredients you need to make in my case a Baked Potato Soup for approx $10.00. I also picked up a chicken tortilla soup too!
At first, I was worried about buying prepared food, but I was so curious to try. So when I got home and put away all of my grocery store haul I decided to give this a try. First of all, I was excited that this recipe would only take me 20 minutes to prepare and cook! Happy Mom indeed!! Secondly, I am amazed that all of the ingredients are ready for cooking with the exception of milk and butter. I think I can handle that.
Inside the container, I found bacon bits, shredded cheese, chopped celery & onion, a seasoning packet, butter (not included) and 3 precooked potatoes. Again, the only additions I that had to add was the butter, milk, and water. I can handle that on my busiest days for sure! The following ingredient I had to set aside were the chives, 1/2 cup of cheese, and 2 tablespoons of bacon will serve as the garnish. My last item needs to make this soup a success was a masher. (seen below)
Now that I had all of our ingredients I was ready to start chopping those baked potatoes!! I like my potatoes pretty chunky in my soup. Now if you like yours a little finer, then definitely chop and dice them into smaller cubes. I forgot to mention that I peeled my potatoes which is optional in this recipe.
Then next thing that I had to prepare is my soup pot by warming it up to melt the 5 tablespoons of butter. After that, I added the onions & celery and sauteed them for 3 minutes. Once the 3 minutes were complete, that is when I added the bacon and continued to saute the mixture for an additional 5 minutes. Once you have sauteed this mixture, add or potatoes and mix for 5 more minutes. ***
Doesn’t that look yummy? But we are not there yet. At this point, I added the milk, water, and the spice packet. Continue to mix as the directions specified and then it was time to start mashing away. Did I mention that I love my potato soup chunky? (smile) As a result, I did not go too crazy with the mashin’.
Lastly, after mashing my potatoes, I added the shredded cheese. This will cause the soup to thicken and add a cheesy and delicious flavor to the soup. And let me tell you I LOVE cheese and potatoes!!
Once I got the soup mixture to my liking, it was time to get ready to enjoy this yummy and delicious soup. I grabbed my favorite soup dish, and I was ready to have my cozy and warm soup in a matter of 20 minutes! So, if you are craving potato soup then head on over to your local H-E-B and give it a try. If you don’t have this available at your local grocery store, then I decided to add a yummy recipe below. Until next time Bon Appetit!
- 3-4 Baked Potato
- 2&1/2 Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Onion Chopped
- 1/2 cup Celery Chopped
- 1 cup Smoked Bacon Chopped
- 1/2 cup Chives Chopped
- 5 Tbsp Butter
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Water
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Microwave Potato until soften.
- Cut potatoes into small cubes. (Removed the potato peel prior to cutting the potato.) Set aside chives, 2 Tbsp of bacon, and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese for garnish.
- Melt 5Tbsp of butter in a large soup pan over medium low heat. After the butter melts, add bacon, chopped celery and onions. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add potato pieces and stir-fry for an additional 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add 2 cups of milk, 1 cup of water, and salt and fresh ground pepper; stir to combine. Let the mixture cook for 5 minutes. While the soup is cooking, mash the potato pieces with a potato masher to desired consistency. Do not let the soup boil.
- Add the remaining cheddar cheese and cook for 2 minutes over low heat until soup thickens. Garnish with chives, bacon, and cheese.
Creamy & Delicious Baked Potato Soup
Serves: 6 Servings
Amount Per Serving:
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||15.4%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||9%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Chic Home Life